Sunday, April 4, 2010

Who is it you are looking For?


When I woke up this morning, as always I turned off my alarm and checked my phone and just as I saw I had two texts from two of my lovely girls, I forced myself to get on my knees and pray, to thank our Savior for this joyous occasion that we can celebrate that even death has no power over our risen Lord, before I did one more thing. Like Ashley said there is something about starting your morning off with the Lord. Things change, you give access to the Lord to start working from the moment you open your eyes. Its powerful.

Although I was running late, I said to myself, I choose to be in your Word Lord, I choose to take time to read the scripture and celebrate your resurrection. I opened my bible to John 20. I started reading and got to the part in verse 10 where Mary and Mary Magdalene go to the tomb and discover that Christ's body is gone. It says..

10Then the disciples went back to their homes, 11but Mary stood outside the tomb crying. As she wept, she bent over to look into the tomb 12and saw two angels in white, seated where Jesus' body had been, one at the head and the other at the foot.
13They asked her, "Woman, why are you crying?"

"They have taken my Lord away," she said, "and I don't know where they have put him." 14 At this, she turned around and saw Jesus standing there, but she did not realize that it was Jesus.

15"Woman," he said, "why are you crying? Who is it you are looking for?"

I stopped right there.. That verse (15) hit me like a ton of bricks. Her SAVIOR, Her Son, was standing right in front of her and she couldnt recognize it right away. He asked, who is it you are looking for? ....I am right in front of you!

Going right along with being convicted of worshipping other things in our lives over God, which has been a theme for us, it just stood out to me. How many times do we think other things are going to be the source of our happiness, our peace, our joy, our strength, and they ALWAYS let us down. GOD is the only HOPE. The ONLY hope. We run away from Him time and time again and put other things before Him over and over, and the whole time God waits patiently and tugs on our hearts saying, I am right here, I am your Savior, who is it your are looking for? I am the one that satisfies.

I just felt like scales fell off my spiritual eyes today. I could picture Christ looking me in the eyes and saying, "How long and how far are you going to run from me when you know that I am the only way. Just rest in my promises"

We celebrate Easter every year knowing that it brings Hope. That because of the resurrection, we have life in Him. We celebrate the fact that His promises are true and that we will get to spend eternity with Him. Yet, after the day passes, I go back to my old selfish ways, not seeing my Savior daily, and not submitting to Him in everything I do FIRST! I wanna try it my way, then do it His way. But it always fails.

Another part of scripture stood out to me as I kept reading the story. John 21:15...

15When they had finished eating, Jesus said to Simon Peter, "Simon son of John, do you truly love me more than these?"
"Yes, Lord," he said, "you know that I love you."
Jesus said, "Feed my lambs."
16Again Jesus said, "Simon son of John, do you truly love me?"
He answered, "Yes, Lord, you know that I love you."
Jesus said, "Take care of my sheep."

17 The third time he said to him, "Simon son of John, do you love me?"
Peter was hurt because Jesus asked him the third time, "Do you love me?" He said, "Lord, you know all things; you know that I love you."

Jesus said, "Feed my sheep. 18 I tell you the truth, when you were younger you dressed yourself and went where you wanted; but when you are old you will stretch out your hands, and someone else will dress you and lead you where you do not want to go." 19Jesus said this to indicate the kind of death by which Peter would glorify God. Then he said to him, "Follow me!"

I thought about that. here was Simon Peter who was a huge Christ follower, yet Christ still challenged Him if he even loved Him at all. Christ wanted to remind Him that you have to live a sold out, different life from the rest and he had responsibility to do so, if He wanted to truly follow Him.

As I read the scripture that usually is very uplifting and happy today, I felt very challenged and convicted. Of course I celebrated the Hope the Lord has given us through His resurrection, but felt very challenged by it as well.

I was reminded this week of a painting I did my freshman year of college. It was a picture of a girl and in the background it said "Christ's love has moved me to extremes. It has the first and last say in everything I do!" What a powerful statement! That girl was a representation of me. I remember painting it and feeling that way, but I cant say thats true for me today, although it is my goal.

God we praise you for the hope you have given us through your Son, and the grace and salvation that your love has freely given. We dont ever want to take that for granted. I pray that we would have the eyes to see you Lord, that we wouldnt be looking for you in all the places you arent, but would first seek you out where we know we can find you. You never change, you are always constant and we desire to follow you. To count everything else a loss, in comparison to what we have in you. You tell us if we truly love you that your love will move us to extremes. I pray that we could daily live that out and be reminded of your laws and ways of a life with you. We are yours Lord, all the glory is yours. Have your ways in our hearts and change us. Change the way we think, the way we live, the way we love, as a response to your love for us. Praise be to the God who has conquered the grave! Death has no power over you, and you are so Mighty and so Holy. We love you God and ask you would challenge us everyday to grow closer to you, and hand hold us through every step because without you it is impossible. In your precious name, Amen.

I know this wasnt a normal Easter message... Just wanna keep us stretching for more!

I LOVE YOU GIRLS! Happy Easter!! xoxo - Natalie

3 comments:

  1. Thank you Natalie for sharing. I totally remember that painting from freshman year and i loved it. Christ's love moving us to extremes and having the first and last say in everything we do is truly encouraging and challenging and something we could truly try to live out. I also read my bible this morning (Monday) in my quiet living room (puppy and shauna are both gone for the week) and it was so, so awesome. Hope you had a great easter! loves

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this Nat you are such an encourager!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amen. Happy belated Easter. : )

    ReplyDelete