Tuesday, April 13, 2010

A True Sacrifice

1 Samuel begins with the story of Hannah, her husband Elkanah, and Elkanah's other wife, Penninah. Having children to carry on your family name was incredibly important in this day, and for Hannah, who couldn't get pregnant, I felt like I could just feel her distress. She went to the Tabernacle and faithfully prayed to God about it, promising to Him that she would dedicate her future son's life back to doing the Lord's work. Being the almighty, answering, miraculous God that He is, He gave her the ability to have a child. She named him Samuel, meaning "heard by God," because he heard and answered Hannah's prayer. This goes to show us the true power of prayer. Hannah then fulfills the vow she had made to God and brought Samuel back to the Tabernacle, to completely leave him to accomplish the work God would have for him. Imagine that... having the undying desire for a child and finally getting one, all to give it back to God. Truly what we have is really God's, so who are we to claim it as anything else?

For our own lives, when we give to God are we giving just a token of our life, or a true sacrifice? Are we giving him the last 15 minutes we are awake or are we consciously acknowledging His presence throughout the entire day? Are we giving God a measly portion of our income and then squandering the rest on clothes? Tithing our money, time, and energy isn't just a challenge for some, or else churches wouldn't be talking about it as frequently! Would you be willing to give up one thing in this world you love the most if God asked it of us? Personally, it is hard for me to say that I would. And if it came to that point, I'd have to refer back to the story of either Abraham and Issac or Hannah and Samuel and use their examples as my encouragement.

It would be far in the future, but little Samuel would become the last judge of Israel; a judge who finally would be obedient and willing to be guided by God. He would be the next prophet since Moses, and he would also one day anoint Saul and David as kings of Israel. A lot of what we may do for the Lord may not show immediate results. A lot of prayers may go unanswered for awhile. But what we do know is that everything we do for Him has a purpose, and it will generate a blessing, either in our lives or someone else's, that comes out of it. What is important is that we strive to be obedient, continue to give greater sacrifices, and above all, understand that everything God gives us is all really His to begin with. Praise the Lord for giving it to us in the first place.

update: I've noticed I have been sounding a little like a broken record with the idea of giving up time to God and making difficult sacrifices to Him. I guess it's been on my heart lately and God is probably trying to tell me something!! :)

3 comments:

  1. Christina I really needed to hear this today! Thank you so much :) I love every part of what you said. I need to read this ten more times to fully grasp all of the wisdom that you poured out. Wow I cannot say I could give God what/who I love more. This is such a challenge. xoxo AshB

    ReplyDelete
  2. please continue playing that "broken record" then...because this girl needs to hear that song over and over again...I don't know what my problem is but its seriously a DAILY struggle with me to give God my undivided time :( I keep choosing to fill my day with "me" things and not God. Your posts are always such great reminders to get me back on track. Keep sharing what God has put on your heart! Love ya, Megs

    ReplyDelete
  3. THANK YOU TWISTIE! Everything you write is right on! The Lord just speaks straight to my heart through your words. This just emphasizes so much more to me where my heart and my head need to be. I need to give it all, ALL the time. All of it is His and always was. I love you Twist!! THank you! xoxo- N

    ReplyDelete