Monday, April 26, 2010

Songs of Innocence






-With love- Kathleen






Piping down the valleys wild,
Piping songs of pleasant glee,
On a cloud I saw a child,
And he laughing said to me"

"Pipe a song about a Lamb!"
So I piped with merry cheer.
Piper, pipe that song again;"
So I piped, he wept to hear.

"Drop thy pipe, thy happy pipe;
Sing thy songs of happy cheer."
So I sung the same again,
While he wept with joy to hear.

"Piper, sit thee down and write
In a book, that all may read."
So he vanished from my sight,
And I plucked a hollow read,

And I made a rural pen,
And I stained the water clear,
And I wrote my happy songs
Every child may joy to hear.

-William Blake (1757- 1827) Romantic Era

----------------------------------

The beauty of poetry is that it can evoke a different emotion in every individual that reads it. To some this poem may stir thoughts of the gentle Lamb, others may ruminate on the blessed writers of the sacred text, or perhaps you will just sit back and enjoy the beautiful work of literature written by a fellow believer. Whatever your route allow yourself to be inspired. Let the elegant words written by Blake flow from his pen to your wild imagination.

----------------------------------

Quote of the week: "It is not length of life, but depth of life." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 comment:

  1. such a beautiful poem Kath, I have been reading through revelations and the descriptions of Jesus as a lamb in heaven brings all the songs and words and poems about lambs to a whole new meaning for me. I always just thought of a lamb as a meek and gentle form and that was Jesus, but after reading some of revelations I see it as powerful, beatufiul, humble, gentle, beautiful all in the same. I don't know why but I get this overwhelming feeling of joy at the speak of lambs now! haha it's awesome though! Thank you for sharing! Love Megs

    ReplyDelete