Monday, June 28, 2010

The Power of God Through You

We are so small. We are capable of nothing on our own, and would literally not be here if it weren't for our gracious and powerful Lord. There are so many times I feel like I am wasting time not doing enough, not doing the right things, not finding my purpose here on this earth. I think this is fairly common among everyone though, and not just Christians. We all want to feel like we are needed for some reason or another, and that there must be more to this life just here on earth.

Obviously as believers, we know we do have a higher calling than just living and breathing for our short life here and then dying. We have so much more to look forward to. But in the meantime, it is sometimes hard to not feel lost and unsure of where your life is headed. Honestly, I feel like I plan my days like a week ahead of time. Yeah I know what I'm doing maybe one day next month here and there, but I don't have a 5 year plan. And even if I did, I know that my plan wouldn't ever really turn out the way I think.

Yesterday while listening to Francis Chan online, he had mentioned the verse James 5:17 (which he said was one of his favorite scriptures in the bible). It reads,

"Elijah was a man just like us. He prayed earnestly that it would not rain, and it did not rain on the land for three and a half years."

At first, I was thinking, that is your favorite verse? Huh? But then he explained it saying he loved how it says that this great prophet was a man (or woman, in our case) just like US. Here was this prophet we've all known about who did amazing, powerful things for God, and he was just a regular human. He prayed that it would not rain, and with his faith, it didn't. Crazy. And although we may not be praying for the same things, we are still capable of having God's power work through us.

So, I was reading this morning, chugging (slowly) along in my bible. I am in 1 Kings and today I read chapters 15-17. Guess what 1 Kings 17 is about? Um... ELIJAH stating there would be no rain for 3 years. Um, coincidence? As I read it, I didn't even remember Francis's words from the night before until a little after. I was just blown away that this man, who had great faith and obedience, could state that there would be no rain because the Lord told him to. And there wasn't. He let the power of God work through him because of his great faith. And then after my brain started working I was like, Wait!! I just heard this!! Now it all comes together for me and I think the Lord is trying to reiterate to me just how much power He has and how strongly He can work through me if I let Him. It makes me realize I am not here on earth just to eat and go to work and play with Puppy, etc etc. God has work and plans for me and I need to be daily acknowledging His presence in my life. Thank you Lord.

(Sorry for my very long absence here on the blog. I am sad I haven't written in awhile, but I am back. Love you guys!! Have a wonderful day!)

xtina.

3 comments:

  1. Xtina! It is so wonderful seeing you post again! I LOVED reading this! That verse has always stuck out to me as SO powerful as well! David and I were talking about it the other night, it's so amazing that someone just like you and me had enough faith to believe in God's power! Love this post, thanks for sharing! Keep it up!! love ya, Megs

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh how I have missed the truth you speak into my life. I was just talking to Ash about the power of prayer and how cool it is that if we just ask and have faith, God rocks us! And I LOVE how he ALWAYS speaks to our hearts with tangible examples, like how you heard this and then open your bible and read it. Crazy. Thats is why you are always right where you need to be. God always has a plan for you no matter where you are. We just need the eyes to see it. You are just where you need to be Ristie in the Word. Its not a race at all. I always have to remind myself that. Thank you for your words of encouragement and for blogging again. I have missed you so much!!

    xooxo- N

    ReplyDelete
  3. Christina, Me and Nat were just talking about how the prophets of the bible are so crazy, and then we realized we pray to the same God that they pray to. The only difference is that they have way more faith in God. I still am trying to lean on the wisdom you gave us at the retreat: that our faith can grow. I really need my faith to grow. A little more light and water.

    "The LORD is my light" Psalm 27:1
    "God is the living water" John4:10

    ReplyDelete