Sunday, May 9, 2010

Let the Women of Great Faith Arise


When my baby cousin Connor was first born, I went to go see him and Nikki in Seattle. One of the most special things that I saw during my time there was that my Aunt Debbie, Connor's grandma recited the 91st Psalm over him. He would just stare at her, this little newborn, looked right into her eyes as she prayed this sweet blessing over him. Children know. They know their Creator, and they know the Lord. We should never assume that they cant comprehend who their Maker is, because no matter what age, we have longing for our Creator.

My Aunt Debbie memorized this whole Psalm to say over him. It is a POWERFUL Psalm and one that I have never really heard. I was so impressed at her ability to memorize scripture and it reminded me that I dont take the time to really plant God's Word in my heart. It is our defense, our comfort, or daily reminders of God's faithfulness and love for us. We should take the time to tuck in our minds and hearts.

She proceeded to tell me that my Nana's mom ( my great grandma's mom) used to pray this Psalm over my Nana. And my Nana prayed it over her babies, and now my Aunt Debbie is praying it over her grandbaby. I just think this is such a cool tradition. We as women, as mothers, as aunts, as cousins, have such an incredible opportunity to speak truth into our children's lives. I think something like memorizing a scripture to say over your children or babies in your life could potentially altar their relationship with the Lord, pushing them towards their King from the first day of their life.

In response, I have started to memorize this Psalm so I can pray it over not only my own babies one day, but the babies I have in my life right now. These words have SO much power in them and I want to speak something over them that is filled with the power of the Spirit. To encourage, to protect, to raise them up as Christ followers as they grow into who they will become. It is long, so i have about half of it memorized, but I say it throughout the day to myself so I can practice and also to have scripture on my lips for my own life.

Today being Mother's Day I just wanted to share with you a sweet tradition in my family about the mother's/women of great faith who have prayed over the children in my family. Through those prayers I think I now know God the way I do because of their commitment to the Lord. I encourage you guys to memorize one scripture this week, and try to make it a habit to memorize more. Knowing the Word of God is such a powerful tool. Read over this precious Psalm, Psalm 91, and rest in knowing that God is our Protector, Giver, Provider, and is All Powerful to never fail us.

I love you girls..Happy Mother's Day to you Kath! (You are such a wonderful Godly mother, I am so proud of you!) Make sure you tell all the mother's in your life how much you love and appreciate them today! Enjoy your day with your moms!!

xoxo- N

Psalm 91

1 He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High
will rest in the shadow of the Almighty.

2 I will say of the LORD, "He is my refuge and my fortress,
my God, in whom I trust."

3 Surely he will save you from the fowler's snare
and from the deadly pestilence.

4 He will cover you with his feathers,
and under his wings you will find refuge;
his faithfulness will be your shield and rampart.

5 You will not fear the terror of night,
nor the arrow that flies by day,

6 nor the pestilence that stalks in the darkness,
nor the plague that destroys at midday.

7 A thousand may fall at your side,
ten thousand at your right hand,
but it will not come near you.

8 You will only observe with your eyes
and see the punishment of the wicked.

9 If you make the Most High your dwelling—
even the LORD, who is my refuge-

10 then no harm will befall you,
no disaster will come near your tent.

11 For he will command his angels concerning you
to guard you in all your ways;

12 they will lift you up in their hands,
so that you will not strike your foot against a stone.

13 You will tread upon the lion and the cobra;
you will trample the great lion and the serpent.

14 "Because he loves me," says the LORD, "I will rescue him;
I will protect him, for he acknowledges my name.

15 He will call upon me, and I will answer him;
I will be with him in trouble,
I will deliver him and honor him.

16 With long life will I satisfy him
and show him my salvation."

1 comment:

  1. Nat.. I love this! I got chills just reading the title! When I read through psalm 91 my first response is that I would not have chosen this scripture to read over a cute lil baby. But that is so like me to only pull out happy scriptures. As I continued to read it I felt such power, it is all about God's protection from the power of the enemy. How our lil children need protection in the world these days. Your great-grandma was a very wise woman to choose this psalm. I cannot wait to get to heaven and see the protection that was on multiple generations of your family because of this powerful psalm prayer.
    Ash B

    ReplyDelete