Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Finish The Race You Started (by Kathleen)

“I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith.”
-2 Timothy 4:7-

I participated in sports growing up; I ran for class office; I was confronted with many situations where I had to “keep on, keepin’ on.” But nothing, I mean nothing, compares to the discipline and determination it took for me to complete the 26.2-mile marathon I ran last weekend. Physically, it felt like there was NO possible way I could continue on. Mentally, however, I forced myself not to give up, to push through the inextricable pain and finish the race I started.

Paul’s words had never been so clear to me then when I hit mile 16 and I started to cramp in areas I never knew could cramp. Pain shot throw my knees like a swift arrow. My body was breaking but I continued on. I repeated over and over in my head,” My body does not control me. I control my body. My body does not control me. I CONTROL my body.”

You see? Our faith is a lot like a marathon. Sin is like the pain I felt when I hit my “wall.” When my hip flexors tightened up like a strong fist and a sensation that can only be described as a blazing fire spread through my calves, I could have given up. I didn’t though. I CHOSE not to let the pain I felt in my body determine the outcome of my race. We have to CHOOSE not to let the temptation of sin determine the outcome of our life.

Strict discipline is the only way I know how to control my flesh. I mean let’s be honest, sexual sin is a huge stumbling block for me. So I have made several commitments to God, and myself in an effort, not to allow sin to pull me out of the TRUE race- again. If anything, the greatest lesson I learned from running a marathon is how much we can control our bodies. Pushing through pain is not easy but it can be done; getting out of the bedroom when kissing is getting a little too steamy is not easy but it can be done.

The determination it took to get 26 miles was challenging but when I crossed the finish line, I almost cried. The sense of accomplishment was immeasurable. I cannot even imagine the feeling I will experience when I cross the ultimate finish line... I'm thinking it’s gonna to be good.

4 comments:

  1. Wow Kath! This is so so powerful, you totally transformed that scripture for me! You are right, we can keep going past what we think is "Impossible." I am SOO proud of you for finishing the race! I know GOD is going to use you to touch many lives as you already have. I love your honest and true words and respect the person GOD has created you to be! Keep up the good work!

    xoxo
    Ash B

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kath!! I am SOOOO proud of you! I cannot believe that you did that! What a HUGE accomplishment! I love the parallel that you made here with our spiritual lives! That was so cool! Thanks for sharing Kath!
    Awesome job!! Love you- N

    ReplyDelete
  3. Leenie...
    i remember when you would tell me a VU, "i love to run. it works my heart muscles." and i would say, "now let's do some crunches!" and you would say, "no." ha ha
    but really, those heart muscles are what you are strengthening with that discipline. its a disciplined system, full of alarm clocks and deadlines. and God's system is even more disciplined. Romans 8!! flesh or spirit baby, flesh or spirit??
    i am sooooo proud of you. that encouraged me to keep committing my body to the Lord in the area of sexual temptation.
    blessings to ya, babe!
    shalom,
    Becks

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, everyone! Becca, you make me laugh. I seriously hate doing abs. I love that you remember that. : )

    XOXOXO

    I am thinking of doing the Surf City marathon for 2011. Who's with me??!?!?!?!?!

    ReplyDelete