Sunday, July 11, 2010

Daily Desperation

When there's recurring feelings or thoughts going on in your head, you start to get the sense that God is trying to tell you something. As you all know, I am a pretty fearful/anxious person. You know, haha.. so I won't get into that. There are times when I start feeling overwhelmed and completely shut my mind off and just pray. I know this helps, absolutely every time it does. He rescues me from my fears. And then when He does, I'm better, and go on throughout my day later forgetting that I still need God's help. Anxiety returns, and again I start praying. I started to realize this pattern, and while this isn't bad that I turn to God in my desperation, I am not constantly desperate for Him. I am not constantly relying on my faith.

In 2 Kings 6, when the king of Aram (bad) sends a great army with many chariots and horses to surround the city of Israel to attack, Elisha's servant freaks out and asks Elisha what they are going to do. Elisha the prophet responds, "Don't be afraid! For there are more on our side than on theirs!" Elisha then prays to the Lord that He may open the servant's eyes and let him see. Technically, their army wasn't as big or as strong. But Elisha's faith proved that with God, they could destroy any enemy.

Faith reveals that God is doing more for his people than we can ever realize through sight alone. When problems seem insurmountable (like how you were going to pay rent, Megs) remember that spiritual resources ARE THERE even if you can't see them. Look through the eyes of faith and let God show you His resources.

After reading this, I constantly have been telling myself this week, "Even though I don't necessarily feel God's power right this moment, it's there. I have Him fighting for me each and every day."

Awhile ago I remember I think Ashley asking for us to post our notes from the lessons at the retreat so I thought I'd do that now! Let me know if you can't read it and want a bigger file :)


1 comment:

  1. Let me just start with saying that Daily Desperation is the most incredible title for anything in the whole world. That is EXACTLY what I want my life to be. What beautiful and powerful words. We need to have our next retreat called Daily Desperation. I LOVE IT!! I loved everything about this post. I love what a beautiful reminder that was of the fact that the Lord fights for us. Ugh!! We serve such a Loving, Mighty GOD!!

    Exodus 14:14 says, "The LORD himself will fight for you. Just stay calm."

    What a beautiful promise. May we always rest in that knowledge. I love you and all your wisdom. Keep pouring it out on my life...

    xoxo- N

    ReplyDelete