Monday, November 22, 2010

My daily bread

Mathew 6:7-13
And when you pray, do not keep on babbling like pagans, fr they think they will be heard because of their many words. Do not be like them, for your father knows what you need before you ask him. This, then, is how you should pray:

"Our Father in heaven hallowed be your name,
your kingdom come, your will be done
on earth as it is in heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread.
Forgive us our debts, as we also have forgiven our debtors.
And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from the evil one."

"Give us this day our daily bread."
Wow, that line has a whole new meaning to David and I right now at this time in our lives. We literally thank God everyday for providing us with our "daily bread". Finances are very tight right now that it is not an option to look ahead to the end of the month, the end of the week, sometimes even the end of the day. There are times the money just isn't there and we don't know what we are going to do and yet day after day after day God is providing for our daily needs. David's free internship randomly decided to give him a Christmas bonus last week, right before rent was due! We have had random people who do not even know we are tight on finances send us a check saying I felt led to give this to you. My old boss just found a research job she needs me to do from home that pays! Everyday God is giving us literally just enough to buy for that day, whether it be groceries, my medicine, or rent for that day, these checks are coming on the exact day we have something due.

It has been an amazing place to be in, to be literally 100% dependent on God. To go to bed knowing rent is due tomorrow and knowing we don't have it in our account...David and I have read these verses over and over and that is our prayer every night, we know God knows what we need before we ask him and we know he has been faithful to provide in the past and will be faithful to provide today. And everyday he has. It has NOT been easy but there has been something really beautiful about being in such a place of dependency on God. He has been humbling us and working on our hearts so much and uniting David and I together in our faith.

As I was thinking about these verses the other night I realized "Give us this day our daily bread" does not literally have to mean "provide tangible food for us" it can be any area in our lives we are struggling. If you are struggling with anxiety, what to do with your future, what job to get, who to marry, where to live, how to overcome a huge obstacle, whatever the problem, I encourage each of you to pray this prayer with all your heart and watch how God will step in and provide for you. Let God be your daily bread. If it's too scary to look ahead to the end of the week and makes you anxious, then don't don't even look to the end of the day. Look to God and expect with faith that God is going to get you through this day and fill you with HIS perfect peace. I know we all know we are supposed to give our worries over to God, blah blah blah...but seriously just do it! No more excuses! No more saying you can have this area of my life but not this part. How can we expect to see God's miracles and feel his peace if we don't give everything over to him?

I was in a place where I was so stubborn that God literally had to FORCE me here haha I don't have a choice right now to give it over to him or not to. There is nothing left for me to hold onto! I have no way of providing for myself so God will. I wish I had not been so stubborn and would have given my heart and fears completely over to God sooner but he knew the only way to make me really see was to completely strip me of everything and humble me. And I am so thankful he has!

I am praying this prayer over each of you ladies today. I am praying we give our fears, hearts, sins, finances, lives, everything over to God and watch him provide day after day after day just how we need. God has not forgotten us ladies! In fact, I have never felt closer to mine and David's life than right now. We have no jobs, no money, a baby on the way, by the worlds standards, he has forgotten for us and not provided. But we know that God loves me and David so much that he has not given up on our hearts. He is doing whatever to takes to humble us and make us dependent on him. I thank him everyday for choosing us and not giving up on us. He has never been closer to our hearts than now and for that I am so thankful! I love each one of you and pray you can release whatever it is holding you back from giving everything up to God right now.

Love Megs and the Babe!

2 comments:

  1. If wish I could fully express in words how happy this makes my heart. Megs, this is SO beautiful. This is the most beautiful, wonderful, mind blowing place you could be with the Lord. Do you know how happy it makes Him to see you FULLY dependent on Him? He just LOVES this. I am SO proud of you and am so thankful for this humbling experience for you and David. Isnt incredible how the Lord works to soften our hearts. He gives and He takes away. It is so true huh?

    I love that you brought us back to the Lords prayer. This is the example of what our prayers should look like. What Jesus Himself prayed. I have been praying this all week, not my will, but yours be done. AMEN!

    2 Cor 12:9-10 is Nikki and my memory verse this week:

    "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me. That is why, for Christ's sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Megan, this is such an annointed post!! It rocked my socks off. So true!! I need to let go of everything, because God is in control anyways. I am foolish to think that I can change anything.

    love you Megs
    xoxo

    ashby

    ReplyDelete