Saturday, August 28, 2010

Prepare Your Hearts

Today while I was reading 1 Chronicles, I was revealed something that I really had never thought of before. In Chapter 9 towards the end it was describing the gatekeepers and all of their duties they had throughout every day and how day and night they were working to complete tasks for the Lord. They would stand around the house of God at night to guard it, they would open the gates every morning; some were assigned to caring for the various utensils used in worship so that none would go missing, some were responsible for the furnishings, the supplies (flour, wine, olive oil), some made the bread. Yes, these were their jobs, but they were still worshiping the Lord while doing it. They prepared the house of God from morning until evening and every detail was carefully maintained so them and everyone else could enter worship with their minds and hearts completely focused on God.

How often do we go into our hour and a half long church service prepared to meet with the Lord? For me, not at all. Just fifteen minutes prior to entering church I was probably getting dressed, getting coffee or eating something and then quickly drive over to church and go inside. Then I close my eyes when the pastor says to, say a quick prayer with him, sing some songs that I often don't pay attention to the words to and then, it's over. Yes during the service I may be in God's presence and hearing new things, but there are so many times I am spiritually disconnected during church. It's so easy to rush inside, still be thinking about this week's plans, be worrying about something or just pray whatever first thought comes into mind when the pastor asks us to pray. I am very guilty of this, and didn't really think of ever "preparing" myself before church. I guess I figured once I stepped into church I was already prepared, but this is definitely not the case.

In 1 Corinthians 14:40, it says, "Be sure that everything is done properly and in order." This could apply to many things in life, and one of those I see it as meaning to properly prepare myself before I meet with the Creator. He at least deserves my heart to be surrendered to Him for that full hour of church. Just as we prepare for a party we're throwing, a meeting for business, or a big date, we first and foremost should carefully prepare our hearts and minds as we go to meet our King in worship.

3 comments:

  1. This was such a great reminder Xtina, thank you so much! Loved this post. I'm really going to try and focus on preparing my heart more before we enter church, thank you so much, love that last verse! Love you, Megs

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is SOO powerful and SO true and I never do this. By the grace of God I do get to enter into His presence at church all the time, but seriously this is crazy that I dont prepare my heart before I go meet with Him. It doesnt make sense now that I think of it. All the other things I prepare for in life, practice for, gather things for, and then I just go to church with all my junk inside and sometimes dont even remember my bible. I gotta get on this. Thank you Twistie for this reminder of conviction and something that we MUST do. This totally hit home for me. I appreciate sharing your new found wisdom with us. I love that scripture you shared to. So so good!

    LOVE YOU!- N

    ReplyDelete
  3. Christina, I am so convicted by this as well. I remember hearing a pastor compare going to church with going on a date with his wife.\He said if he is taking his wife on a date and he leave work late and rushed, does not make reservations, meets her at the restaurant and is still sending emails while they are waiting to be seated. His date with his wife is not that life changing. But if he gets off work early, stops and picks her us some flowers, takes a shower and gets all dressed up makes a reseration and picks her up for the date. The experience is so different. In both cases he is with his wife, and in both cases they eat dinner. But his heart is in a different place. He compared the same thing to going to church. If he is running late and running into the service vs. getting there early, and spending the morning in prayer going into the sactuary with the knowledge that he is about to hear from the LORD. I remember when I heard him tell this story that it was so powerful. And of course time has passes and I had not even thought of it but you completely reminded me of preparing my heart to hear from the Holy Spirit.

    ReplyDelete