Saturday, August 28, 2010

A Calling of Urgency


This week I have been asked by God to do some things that I did NOT want to do. I have those experiences a lot. God tells me that I need to do something, go be a light, talk to someone etc and I think, um well Ill see if this is really you first and dwell on it a little then go ahead and do it later. But the problem is later isnt when God is calling us. He is calling us NOW.

I was convicted the other day when realizing this. I pray and beg and ask God to use me as a vessel, then I totally decide if I want to do it or not. Its pathetic when I think about it, because He is giving me the desires of my heart, and then I lack in faith and cant trust God will see me through. It doesnt make any sense.

I was reading in the scripture the other day and found this:

James 4:13
" Now listen, you who say, "Today or tomorrow we will go to this or that city, spend a year there, carry on business and make money" Why, you do not even know what will happen tomorrow. What is your life? You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes. Instead, you ought to say, " If this is the Lord's will, we will live and do this or that." As it is, you boast and brag. All such boasting is evil. Anyone, then, who knows the good he ought to do and doesn't do it, sins."

Thats like really heavy. That scripture totally reminded me that we arent promised tomorrow and God calls us to do things to further His Kingdom, to love on others, because its His plan and His plan is perfect. We are so blessed we get to be a small part of it. So we HAVE to go when He calls.

And the craziest part of that whole scripture is it says, "anyone who knows the good he ought to do and doesnt, sins!" We are sinning if we know we are supposed to do good and dont. Its not like we do bad instead and that is sinning. Being disobedient to God is sin too.

I had it put on my heart to write a couple letters to people close to me that I was totally avoiding. This stuff is hard, because I never want it to be my words, but ONLY the Lord's. But the Lord TOTALLY worked through me when I decided to be obedient. PRAISE THE LORD!

I dont know if anyone else is in this boat, knowing the Lord is calling them to talk to someone they should talk to, or keep someone accountable for something that is hard to address, or even just love the ones that seem unlovable. But I encourage you to do it today. To realize that we arent promised tomorrow and more than that God is giving you a call of urgency. He puts us in places at specific times so we can be vessels. What an honor and high calling that is. Have faith today that you are good enough to be used by the Lord and that the Lord will guide your every step, even if it seems scary. :)

I love you girls,
Natalie

4 comments:

  1. umm... YES. This is one of the hardest things, Nat! It makes me think about the time that the Lord kept telling me over and over (literally, in bible verses), to send a note to my grandma. I did, and I am so glad I did. But, it also makes me think of the time when I didn't say anything to my old boss during this one time he was going on his rants about this crazy "Jesus guy," and literally yelling "This thing these Christians believe in called the Rapture is crazy, WHO BELIEVES IN THE RAPTURE?!" and here I am just sitting there, with 2 of us in his home office and I didn't say ANYTHING. and i remember so bad wanting to just say "I do!" and yet.... nothing. I didn't say anything and I am really wishing I could have just trusted God and had the courage to speak out.

    so good for you for listening to the Lord.. He will definitely bless and reward you for obeying and I will be praying for more courage for you and me to do things out of our comfort zone and listen to His direction in our lives.

    love you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Twist! Speaking out for the Lord is HARD and you know what, dont eat yourself up over the times you didnt speak out, but totally just use that as momentum to move forward in boldness. God is a God of second chances, and I praise Him for this because I am SO in need of them all the time. You never know what kind of divine meeting you may get with your boss again someday or who else He may use to turn His heart towards His Kingdom. But what an honor to be asked to be used by the Lord and Praise GOD for the times you have been obedient and the times God totally blessed people in your life through that! That deserves some total praise!
    Love you and thank you for your encouragement and your prayers. I need them SO desperately! I will be praying for you too!

    xoxo- N

    ReplyDelete
  3. YES! I love this post Natalie! James often tells me that "delayed obedience IS disobedience." I LOVE THAT.
    Thank you for sharing your heart with us! May we be empowered to respond to our calling of obedience! Love you girls!
    XX Mia

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nat, This is so true. Over and over again in the bible God tells people to do things right away. God knows our hearts and knows that when we wait we often become discouraged and then disobedient. I struggle so much with being faithful to do what God has called me to do but God is so faithful to give us second chances. Today is the day for salvation!!

    LORD help us to be faithful to you!

    ReplyDelete