Monday, March 29, 2010

What a Little Time Can Do


When we returned from our retreat I decided to use meals as a time to pray, read the bible, sing worship songs and teach my son about his Creator. My child already is a prayer warrior (no joke, he puts Benny Hinn to shame) so I knew this would not be a difficult task. It seemed like the perfect time to start implementing Proverbs 22:6," Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it," and instilling the truths of God's word in my son.

This is how our mealtime/study time sessions have gone: (Day 1) Read child 2-3 stories, pray, sing song. (Day 2) Read child 2-3 stories. Child demands more. So.... mommy and child finish the entire New Testament. Don't be impressed. It is a toddler bible. (Day 3) Read 2 stories. Child fusses. Mommy tries to make a game out of story time. Mommy: "Where's Jesus, little man? Can you show me Jesus?" (Mommy has no expectation of child finding Jesus). Child: (points to Jesus). Mommy thinks it was a lucky shot; turns page. Mommy: "Show me Jesus, honey." Child: (points to Jesus sitting on a donkey with his back turned). Mommy is convinced. (Day 4- present) Read the bible until Mommy can't take it anymore. Child fusses for more.

As the mealtime/ study time sessions progress, my child demands for more and more stories from the New Testament (not Old), I think, because he wants to show me he sees Jesus. He SEES Jesus. I thought, I was teaching him but what I realized is that he already got it. Of course, he does not know the stories of the bible and their significance but what he does understand is that "Jesus guy" is the main character. He understands that the story is all about Him. I completely underestimated my son based on his age, how wrong was I! It is unfortunate because I could have spent the last two years investing in his spiritual wellness during mealtime. Instead, I used it to (quite ashamed to say) check emails, facebook, text, read mind-numbing gossip and headline news. I COULD have used that time to study the word of God with my son growing in faith and understanding together but instead I wasted it time on mindless nonsense. Even if I just spend 15 minutes a meal doing something related to Christ with him, that is 45 minutes more in the word a day . What a difference 45 minutes can make. My prayer warrior turned bible-thumping toddler proved that to be true- undoubtedly.

"Assuredly, I say to you, unless you are converted and become as little children, you will by no means enter the kingdom of heaven." - Matthew 18:3

My challenge to you: Identify and eliminate the small distractions in your life. A few distractions can add up to a lot of wasted time. (Trust me, I know). Determine the distractions and re-direct your wasted time towards something purposeful.

3 comments:

  1. That is SO rad Kath! What incredible things God is doing in your heart and teaching you. You have such a huge calling as a mother, to show your baby what it looks like to follow the Lord. What a testimony of who God is, the fact that he knew who Jesus was. Doesnt surprise me at all, Jesus LOVES His children! It is so true sometimes we really have to think about what it means to have faith like a child. What an amazing challenge. I am really going to be praying about the things I can get rid of in my life and replace with time with the Lord. It makes all the difference in the world if we fill ourselves up with Him every chance we get. I am so proud of the woman and mother you are Kath!

    xoxo- Natalie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kathleen,
    I was so happy to hear the story of your child being able to point out Jesus each time... wow how special! How do we get such childlike love and faith like kids do? That is so special that you have decided to really set an example and show just how important it is to set aside for Christ. Teaching others our faith by example is crucial and it is so great you are doing just that. Thank you for your insight!!
    love christina

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kath, this is so encouraging! Thank you for your words! What precious memories with your son! I was reading in 2 Timothy today and immediately though of you and your little one when reading this verse...

    2 Timothy 3:15
    "and that from childhood you have known the Holy Scriptures, which are able to make you wise for salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus."
    As you said, you are training up your child in the way he should be! I'm so proud of you! Love you, megs

    ReplyDelete