Sunday, March 28, 2010

The Triumphal Entry

"Hosanna In the Highest."

"Blessed is the one who comes in the name of the Lord."

John 12: 13

Palm Sunday is a something that comes and goes without much thought for me most years. I know it to be the day when Jesus rode through on a donkey and the people praised Him, shouting “Hosanna” and waived palms.

This year it all seems a little different though. I have been trying to really think about this small story in the bible, the one called the Truimphal Entry. What does that mean for us? What does that mean for my life today?

When Jesus came through that town, He was praised by the people. They shouted, “Hosanna in the Highest! Blessed is He who comes in the name of the Lord. Blessed is the King of Israel!”

At that moment, prophesy was being fulfilled…That is a HUGE deal! Jesus came in riding on a donkey, humbled, lowly, but as our KING. As it is written in Zechariah 9:9 “Rejoice greatly, O Daughter of Zion! Shout, O Daughter of Jerusalem! See, your King comes to you, righteous and having salvation, gentle and riding on a donkey.”

He is the one that saves. Hosanna is a Hebrew word meaning “save” which became and exclamation of praise. Those people, who came to worship had eyes to see the Savior. They had eyes to see that this man was different that He was Mighty, Strong, a Healer, a Provider, a Peace Giver. They could see this.

I wanna be like this crowd. To recognize “the One who comes in the name of the Lord.” I think so many times we miss God because we are too busy dealing with our own lives and worshipping other things, that we don’t even see that we have a Savior in front of us. Someone who says, I am your KING. I am your SAVIOR. I am your CREATOR. I AM.

As we remember Passover tomorrow, and are reminded of Gods faithfulness to the Israelites as He took them out of bondage, and we approach Good Friday and Easter, may we be reminded not to miss our Savior. Not to be too busy worshipping other things to see that He came to meet us right where we needed him to, and He still does that today.

Lord, we desire to serve you. To shout from the rooftops, “Hosanna in the Highest!” Praise be to the God who sent His son, who saves His children, who came lowly so we could receive you. You knew that’s what we needed and you love us that much. I pray that you would open our eyes today to be prepared for this week, as we remember the cross and all your bore because of our sin. We remember that while we were still sinners you came to save us. We are SO undeserving of your love and your mercy, but Lord we praise you that we can rest in it at all, and accept the gift of salvation. I ask that you would continue to walk with us Lord, help us to worship you 100%. To take the time to see you in all things, because we know you are there. We love you Jesus, Our Precious Savior. In your mighty name, Amen.

- Natalie

2 comments:

  1. Thank you Natalie for that! It is so easy to be caught up in our daily life that we forget just what Christ did for us. It is amazing that He gave His life for you and me. And just how humbly He did it all is amazing. Jesus never expected worship or praise, was not proud, and took the form of a servant throughout His entire life. This is a good reminder to us when we're feeling deserving or prideful- that the almighty God was never once prideful even though He's the only One that ever deserved anything. I'm really looking forward to Good Friday and Easter this year and just remembering what the Lord did for us... It just feels SO real and so special to me at this point in my life. Thank you Jesus!!

    christina

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Christina, your comment was a post in itself! Love it! Natalie, thank you for encouraging us to not just glance over the story but to stop our business and take the time to soak in how great God's love is for us! I have just been feeling so blessed that God CHOSE me, that He wrote my name on his book of life, I am so undeserving and nothing and he Loves me and chose me. I feel so ashamed that I think I deserve this or that, I am nothing yet God loves me! Hosana! everytime I read the word Hosana in the bible I change it in my mind to "he saves", so powerful! Thank you Natalie!

    Megan

    ReplyDelete