Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Refuge


“Be my strong refuge, to which I may resort continually..” Psalm 71:3


Recently when I was going through recovery from surgery my prayers became very redundant. They would always be along the lines of …


“God please help me, just this one time, please Lord help me get through this pain.”


A few hours later I would find myself praying the same prayer. I had to laugh, I was kidding myself to pray as if it was my last final prayer. Around day two I remember praying, “God I know I keep praying for you to help me just once, but I am going to need you again and again.”


As we read in Psalm 71, we can go to God continually. No matter how many times we call on the LORD He will always listen to our cries. I have the tendency to triage my problems. If I feel like there is a “big problem” I send out a mass prayer text. If I feel like it is a “small problem” I feel as if I can handle it on my own. I would never want to annoy God with my small request. The funny thing is that in comparison to God all of my “problems” are small.


If you or someone you know is going through a difficult time, encourage them to go to the LORD. If they say that they already have, tell them to go again and again and again. Tell them to wait at the feet of Jesus. Hold tight to the promise that we can go continually to the LORD and that He is our refuge.


Refuge- Noun: shelter or protection from danger or trouble. A place of shelter, protection or safety.


When I think of the word refuge the first thing I picture is battle or war. And sometimes in life we do feel as if we are being attacked from all sides. During these times remember that God is our refuge. When my life is falling down on all sides, I feel as if I need to be doing something tangible to fix my problems. Time and again, God lovingly shows me that my strength is found in the LORD, not myself.


The LORD is our Refuge, we can find peace in Him.
The LORD is our Safety, we do not have to fear.
The LORD is our Shelter from the storms of life.
The LORD is our Protection from harm.


Prayer: “LORD please be our refuge, hear the cries of Your daughters and help us to speak of Your righteousness.”


Response: How have you seen God as your refuge?

1 comment:

  1. Ah I love this beautiful reminder of the LORD being our Refuge. I feel like this is what sustains my life. It is the underlining theme that keeps me going. LORD, you are my Refuge, what can stand against me? In my life the Lord has showed me that He has me. He has everything in control and even when I feel like I cant see it, He is my strength and refuge in times when I dont understand. I rely on Him to save me when my life feels out of control and when I dont see hope at the end. Or even to take care of others that I love so much. He can do it all! There is hope when we know God is our Refuge.

    I have Psalm 91 in my heart that constantly reminds me of this.

    "He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High, will rest in the shadow of the Almighty. I will say of the LORD, He is my Refuge and my Fortress, my God in whom I trust"

    LORD thank you so much for sustaining us at all times. You never fail and I know that through and through. Thank you for loving us enough to embed that truth in our hearts. Be my Refuge today.

    xoxo- N

    ReplyDelete